Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:56 PM   #1

I recently upgraded from a 10d to a 1Ds Mark II. I had the Sigma 24-70 mm 1:2.8 EX DG lens that I had been using with the 10D. When using the Sigma with the 1Ds The focus never seems to be sharp. Its usually just a wee bit short of being sharp. I noticed also when I use my Canon 550 EX flash with the camera and the Sigma lens the zomm function on the flash does not work either. I have read where there are lenses that Sigma had had to re-chip or some such process to make them function properly. The 1Ds works flawlwssly with the 70-200 Canon with Razor sharp focus but just doesnt seem to do it with the Sigma. Any suggestions or opinions appreciated.

thos913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:35 AM   #2

I've had my share of problems with Sigma lenses not working on newer Canon bodies. I never did re-chip them, just sold them and stuck with Canon lenses. The problems I had were the aperture not working, or ERR messages coming up in the display and the camera freezing. They would however always focus normal. Do you have any of the other symptoms?

Hm, another thought,doesn't the 1Ds Mark II have a 1.3orfull-frame sensor? Could it be that the 24-70 EX DG is made for 1.6 crop factor cameras? Would that even matter? Just speculating, probably not...

But to sort of answer your question, yes, you can contact Sigma and have them re-chip the lens if they think that will fix the problem. Just send them an email and tell them everything you just told us here.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote