Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:39 PM   #1

Good day,

Newbie D30 question; I am taking photos of fastpitch softball with a D30 and, primarily, a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. Occassionally with a 1.4 extender.

From a practical point of only having 2 hands and 91 picoseconds (slight exaggeration) to have everything set, what is your typical camera set-up for typical semi-sunny day? If I miss a photo it is usually due to blur/out of focus. Rather than rely on autofocus, which seems tenuous, it appears that using aperture priority, setting ISO to 800 and only diddling focus manually is likely the best way to avoid blur.

The autofocus does not seem accurate or fast enough, even when I have correctly predicted the action location and half-load the shutter. Sometimes gets it, sometimes doesn't. I am less worried about graininess that focus.

It appears when I see pro's on the sidelines of football games they have one hand on the shutter and the other on the focus ring, implying manual focus.Or... I have missed something (again).

As noted, newbie. Any hints appreciated.

Thanks !!!
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links