Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:49 PM   #1

Difficult subject =Raven =Suggestions???

All black and Wacky roger just don't seem to want to get it together. On my way back from the woods lots of days I stop and try to get a good raven or crow and no question 98% of the time when I look at the photo I smile and delete it. I am going to keep these 3 just cuz my photo gallery needs a couple more Ravens.

I think he was laughing at me for trying again.

All right try again here is my best side.

I flipped one of the photos then converted it to gray tones to try and get a different look.

Here is the EXIF information
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Image Date: 2008:01:25 22:24:44
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 700.0mm
CCD Width: 28.12mm
Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

Any ideas or suggestions for different setting I could of used appreciated. I am not unhappy with these in fact they are the best Raven photos I have taken. I have added these to my photo gallery but I am always trying to improve so any suggestions I can try next time will be appreciated. Since I am new to the Mark 3 and the 500mm lens I figured some of you folks might have some ideas for me to try.

Thanks in advance

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:10 PM   #2

Roger, I rarely have anything negative to say about your picture posts but this time I think you missed the mark completely. If you want suggestions on camera settings to help improve your shots, then post the bad ones. Don't post the ones that look perfect because I can't see anything that could or should be changed.:G

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:03 AM   #3

I agree with Calicajun that there's nothing wrong with your bird

What you could do instead is to use the color picker tool to select and delete the uniform blue sky and layered another background underneath! :-)
(That's how they video the weather man on TV in theory...)

-> Sometime I would use flash fill to highlight a dark subject and totally blowout the background behind it (which you would replace anyway)...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:14 AM   #4

its ur subject that really makes u feel the picture is not fine. THe pictures are fine. Imagine the same picture of a colorful island bird. U wouldnt complain.

Its a plain black bird. Try some in flights which will give u better satisfaction.

This one below was first ever picture i took of a bird while playing with the 120-300. And there is nothing perfect in the picture but i liked it coz it was a black crow(i would call the miniature version of a raven and any pictures like the ones u have taken would have given me the same feeling.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:21 PM   #5

Thanks everybody for looking and commenting. I like the photos, I was trying to find out what I could of done different to get some more detail on his chest.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:39 PM   #6

Roger, on my dark and cruddy monitor at work, it looks like there is quite a bit of chest detail, though extremely dark. If you shoot in raw mode and use an editor like photoshop cs3 with the raw cnverter in bridge or with adobe lightroomyou should be able to bring some of the detail out using the fill light slider and some other stuff. and/or, you could use cs3 and create a layer mask and just work on the chest area without affecting the rest of the picture. just a thought.

edit: another thought is to use exposuer bracketing in continuous mode and try merging the shots together. hopefully the subject doesn't move too much or at all.

djb is offline   Reply With Quote