Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:47 PM   #1

Hello everyone,
I have decided to get a Canon dslr, it would be my first and Iam not sure to get the Canon xti for $520 (body), the 30d(800)body or 40d(1150) body.
I will add the canon grip to the XTI, because it is too uncomfortanle without it.

What I'll be shooting or plan to shoot:
I'll be doing street/portarits in San Francisco, DUB car show, hopefully MMA, small rock concerts.

I go fishing in baja, sometimes snowboard, and would like ro do surf photos someday, and I live in foggy SF.

I hope not to upgrade soon either, so which would you suggest? thnks

( I posted here because I am going for a canon and I bet more canon look here than the Which camera to buy area)
tapout13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:24 PM   #2

Also which lens would you suggest for being the only lens at the moment for it.
A tamron 24-70mm 2.8?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:40 PM   #3

Both the 30D and 40D would have the advantage of an ISO 3200 setting if you needed to use it (missing on the XTi), and these models have a bit better build quality, as well as a faster frame rate if you needed it (5fps with the 30D and 40D, versus 3fps with the XTi).

Tamron doesn't make a 24-70mm f/2.8 (they make a 28-70mm f/2.8 though).

Sigma makes a 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG lens for the Canon. I'd make sure you're comfortable with the size/weight/ergonomcs of the lenses you choose, as you may decide you want something lighter for a walk around (or something with a bit more range). But, a lens that can maintain f/2.8 would be a good idea for lower light use.

Here are some tests of the Sigma (comparing it to the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L).

Some of our Canon shooters can probably comment on focus speed, etc.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:39 PM   #4

Your'e right Jim. It is the Sigma. Many tell me to get that if I can't afford the Canon. I just can't decide over the xti w/grip or 30d/40d. The grip made the xit feel like a 30d/40d but it still had a plastic feel. And since I wouls like to get into sport(mma,boxing,surfing) in the near future having the 5fps+ sounds useful. Though an mma photogrpaher told me he used an xti and it does the job.

Jim what walk around lens would you reccomend for the streets od sf? thanks
Old Mar 15, 2008, 2:36 AM   #5

Save a bit longer and get the 40D, it does a great job and keeps shooting fun. Well fun after you read the manual a couple of times.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:01 AM   #6

I have the Sigma 24-70 f 2.8 lens and love it, It is my primary lens for indoor sports without using a flash (mostly basketball) but I also use it as an everyday lens. For the price it is a very good lens. Recently I made the choice between the XTi and the 30D and chose the 30D. First was the 5 fps and second was the ISO 3200 capability plus it was within my budget at $800. I am not sorry with that decision. Nothing against the XTi it is still a good camera, my other body is an XT. Either way enjoy.

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:53 PM   #7

xsi is coming out in april , you may want to give it a look.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:05 AM   #8

That's what I was going to say. Take a serious look at the XSi when it comes out. It offers a LOT... Will be releasednext month.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:57 AM   #9

I'm going back and forth between these two (and the 5D)

Do you think the Xsi photos would compare to the 40D?

rubykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:08 AM   #10

For your MMA shots you'll want the 30d or 40d.

You should also realize you're not going to get a single lens that will do everything you want to do well. So you either need a larger budget or like most people you'll have to accept the fact that a dslr is a system and you may have to wait to accomplish some goals until you can afford additional lenses.

For instance - surfing - I'd suggest 300mm minnimum, 400mm or 500mm would be better.

For MMA - a 24-70 can be nice but it's too short to reach across the cage - you'll want a 70-200 2.8 for that. And yes, the lenses should be 2.8 - lighting sucks except at the best venues.

The sigma / tamron xx-70 2.8 lenses are good options for the street photos but af performance is kinda poor (compared to canon or other sigma lenses with HSM).

The xsi still doesn't have any iso above 1600 so it's not a good solution for MMA. If that's important to you then stick with 30d/40d (shooting MMA with a prime lens would be extremely difficult since the action moves around too much).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote