Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:19 AM   #1

I'm seriously considering buying a Rebel XSi, but ran across this in the user manual:

You can shoot while viewing a real-time image on the
camera's LCD monitor or on a personal computer
screen. This is called "Live View shooting."
Convenient when the camera is mounted on a
tripod for shooting still lifes, for example.
If you handhold the camera like a compact digital
camera and shoot while viewing the LCD monitor,
camera shake can cause blurred images

Does this mean I can't use Live View handheld, even with IS lenses?
tomlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:48 AM   #2

depends on how stable ur hands are.

When the shutter is pressed the mirror drops down and the live view is shut off for a second when the picture is taken. Unlike P&S this delay is something u will have to anticipate and hold thte camera still. (THis is because the mirror is up to relay the scene to the live view LCD. And this also means during live view ur view finder is dark since there is no mirror to reflect the light to the view finder.(Unlike olympus which has to sensors for viewfinder and live view).

Steps if iam right would be.

1) Live view stop 2) Mirror Down 3) Mirror Up 4) Shutter release 5) Mirror down(These three will happen as one step in reality)6) Mirror Up 7) Return to live view,

Steps 1 and 2 will be audible with a good thunk and this takes up almost 1/3 of a second in reality and only after this the actual picture is taken. So as long as ur hands are steady for te whole process u are good to use the live view

In reality u will have to hold the camera still for an extra 2 seconds to take a picture. I have got a lot of keepers using the live view. Only crib is its inability to focus when on live view(mark III) which they implemented in 40D. I smell firmware could fix it..but knowing how canon has reacted to 1d mark III AF fiasco we basically SHOULD not expect anything from them(Pretty useless company when it comes to customer satisfaction i guess)

This is with live view only. The fine tuning at 100% helps me a lot sometimes. And this is handheld picture with the 500L lens and a 1.4x teleconverter. :blah:

here is one with the same lens tele converter combo handheld live view..

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote