Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:12 PM   #1
Default EOS D30

Looking for some advice / comments...

I bought an S50 about 6 months ago and I love it - it's giving me great pictures and it's so handy to carry around with me.

I'm now thinking about an SLR - to give me more options with lenses, filters, flashes etc. I certainly can't afford an EOS 1D and not even a 300D but am considering a second hand D30.

Should I worry about the move from 5mp with the S50 to 3mp with D30...?

Would be grateful for comments and advice certainly some from D30 owners. From the reviews I've read it seems a great buy (at least it was when it was new). What kind of price should I be looking at for a decent, well kept model.

Appreciate your comments. Matt
mattUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:44 PM   #2

Depends on how you use the pictures and what your subjects are. Are you making large prints? Are you croping a lot? Then you'll miss the higher resolution.

I have heard fairly decent things about the D30. From what I've heard, the AF on the D60 was a step backwards, so I wouldn't consider that (it sounds like you aren't.)

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 2:16 AM   #3

At the moment I'm taking mostly land/seascapes and sunsets but plying around with other subject also. I'd like to get more into portraits and macro stuff.

I've not printed anything bigger than 5x7 so far but would like the option of A4 size prints... I figured I probably wouldn't need to crop too much if I could use the appropriate zoom if you know what I mean.

I had considered the D60 but thought it may be out of my price range. Think I'll steer away from it now though.

mattUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:41 PM   #4

I bought a used D30 almost a year ago and I really like it. I have printed 16x20 with no problem. I would think as long as you're not cropping a tiny portion of the photo and printing it as an 8x10, you'll be fine. I use mine for portrait work and so all my photos are cropped somewhat and I have not had any problems.
pstepka is offline   Reply With Quote