Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:17 PM   #1

Hey All,

I have a Canon 10D with the Battery Grip and the other day it said that my batteries were dead. Thought that was wierd considering it hardly ever dies on me before I charge it. So thinking that was wierd I unscrewed the grip and placed it back on (I believe I might have done this with the camera still switched on, but not entirely sure). Afterwards itseemed to be fine, however later that night I went to shoot a portrait shot (using the shutter on the grip) and it wouldn't fire. I also tested all the other buttons on the grip and none of those would work either. I am assuming that it is either the contacts on the grip orthe part where the contacts meet the battery compartment inside the camera. I have cleaned with alcohol with no luck. Anyonehad this happen before? Any info will help.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:15 AM   #2

-> It could be contact oxidation under the various switches in the grip as well...

After many years my 1dMrkII shutter on the grip stop working since I rarely use it, but after pushing it many times (a good 5 minutes of pressing on/off) it started working again... If I used again this shutter grip's again the next day it will work, but if I neglect it for a good month or so I need to 'clean' it again by pumping the contacts.

I guess a good trip to Canon would fixed it, but in your case you can probably get a new grip too...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:20 AM   #3

Memory serves that there is a switch on the verticle grip that disables the buttons and shutter release, did this get turned off? It has happened to me.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote