Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2003, 7:28 AM   #1
Default Canon EF 55-200 mm 4,5-5,6 II USM

Hi from a digital SLR-Newbie!

I WILL BE a 300D-Owner in just a few days or weeks, and I will go for the set with the 18-55 lens. So the Canon 55-200 II looks like a good addition for being able to use the range from 18-200 (28-320) with just 2 lenses... but I can't find tests or opinions for this new lens, and I don't want to be a beta-tester at all...

Does anybody already have experience with that lens? 4,5-5,6 doesn't sound very good to me... of course I know there are much better lenses on the market, but as price is not SO unimportant for me, I'm looking for a good compromise between quality and price...

I already realised, that I should forget all the 28-XXX lenses < $1000, they seem to be just bad. There are good lenses in the range 70-200, but then I would lose the range from 88 to 112 (70x1.6) completely.... no good idea, I guess.

Any other suggestions? As I donít own ANY equipment at the moment, I am open for other opinions!

Until now I used the Canon G1/G2/G3, sold the G3 to have money for the Sony F828 (shame on me, I know... ), but came to the conclusion, that the 300D for sure is the better camera - although the F828 seems to have some very, very nice features... Next step will be to buy a Digital Elph (Called Ixus where I live) as second camera for carrying with me in situations, when a big SLR is not "suitable".

And yes, sorry for my maybe bad English! :?
Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2003, 8:31 AM   #2

If your going to be shooting in good lighting. Those fstops should be fine. Also, keep in mind that you dont have to stick with Canon lenses. Canon makes great lenses, just usually you pay for the name/reputation and quality "L Series". Ive been happy with my Sigma EX lenses. About half the price of the L series. Me. I'd still have to go with what I would like to have which is the following.

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX

You get both of these new from ebay for around 800-1000. Less then one L series and almost the same quality. Thats just my idea on what I would try to get. If I really had the money, obviously I'd be hitting the L series as well. But to get a set is just too much at this moment...

Good Luck
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 3:29 PM   #3

Thanks for your anwser! Of course I have also an eye on the Sigma lenses, but as I could read in some boards (f.e. photozone.de) they seem to have a problem with the AF, which is very slow. What's your experience concerning this matter?

Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote