Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Default EOS-300D Owners - Help Please ??

I would like to hear from 300D owners.

Are you happy with the out-of-camera JPEGs produced by the 300D? I am looking for a D-SLR that can produce excellent out-of-camera JPEGs that can be printed up to 8x10" on my Canon i950 (color accuracy, detail, accurate skin tones, excellent low-light performance, etc...). I come from an Olympus C-5050Z background which has always produced excellent JPEGs and have very little "manual photography" experience. I want something that would equal or surpass the C-5050Z in terms of JPEG quality but that I can eventually grow into.
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2003, 4:51 PM   #2

Don't forget to ask what lens the person uses. Not all lenses are created equal and some will shift the color slightly or meter a bit lower than it should. So you can't completely judge the camera by the use with just one lens.

I say this from the 10D prospective, so I could be wrong here. You preferences for what will make you "happy" is different than others. A DSLR is designed/configured to produce slightly soft pictures. In the 10D you can increase the in-camera sharpening if you want. Most don't, and sharpen it in PhotoShop because 1) PhotoShop has more complex sharpening algorithms which usually produce better results and 2) Not every picture wants to be as sharp as the next. Adding sharpness is easy, removing it is hard. So there is also a question of what the persons camera settings are at.

ps. I have a 10D, so I can't answer you calls for examples. I understand that it produces very good out-of-camera JPGs, depending your preferences and playing with some of the settings.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 7:52 PM   #3

The color is vivid on the Dreb (Enhanced even). Wow, is what you will hear all the time when you show your pictures.

Try one out in the store.
SheilaE is offline   Reply With Quote