Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:10 AM   #11

Tigerotor77w wrote:
Can someone tell me whether the following two images were MF or AF?
That's the thing...
I keep hearing the lens back or front focus???
-> A lens does not focus by itself !!!
The camera does (or the photographer does it in the case of MF)... by moving the focusing elements in the lens back and forth - What is there to adjust in the lens to alter this focusing issue?
Nothing - think about it adding a 1.4x/2x teleconverter(behind) or diopters(in front) can totally alter a lens focus yet the camera (or the photographer) can overcome this quite easily by looking throught the TTL viewfinder

A lens mis-alignment on the other hand can be seen independently from the focusing as one portion of the image is not as sharp as others...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:42 PM   #12

Hey NHL, I was asking about MF vs. AF only because I didn't remember if I had manually focused with LV in one or if both were AF.

I didn't quite understand your message -- if the focus issue is me, what can I do to overcome it? I don't really want to focus and recompose on every shot, but perhaps that's an expectation that is the result of my P&S days (the play of words of "daze" works here surprisingly well, too )...
Tigerotor77w is offline   Reply With Quote