Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 19, 2003, 3:53 AM   #1
Default Oly 5050Z to EOS 300D Should I

I own a Olympus 5050Z which I am reasonably happy with. What would I gain by buying the Canon DSLR.

I have read the reviews and the forums and feel that the DSLR would serve me better.

My main photography would be Portraits, wildlife Fire Brigade Training shots
appliance photos etc

Sometimes I need the camera quickly would the DSLR not be suited.

Has any one gone in the same direction.

Please send me your views.

If I decide to buy DSLR any takers for a 5050.
fire377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2003, 7:23 AM   #2

If you mean with needing a camera quickly that the camera is always in reach and not in a bag somewere else; Forget about any (d)slr or prepare to be quite fanatic with your camera.

The 300D will respond much faster on shutter input, therefor images will be more likely to be an success.

It seems to me that you do like the quality of dslr, but have second thoughts about extra weight, size and costs. Maybe you do best by waiting another month. In the end you may actually like having both: a small camera and a great dslr. You could consider the 5050 as a decent st/part of digital camera gear and go for dslr if the 300D drops in price (yes that is possible).
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 8:05 PM   #3

i already have a DSLR and a 5050. the 5050 is in an underwater housing and works pretty darn good. my back up camera for my 1Ds is going to be a minolta A1.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:41 PM   #4

I've been using an OLY C-730 for the past year, been getting good enough photo prints off my Epson 2200 to sell fine art prints to pay for my "photo jones". I just bought a Canon Rebel EOS, there is no comparison. The SLR is faster, the increased megs noticable on the print quality and the creativity factor very exciting. I will keep my OLY C-730 handy, but I suspect I won't be using it much. I hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote