Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:16 PM   #1

Hello, I have a Canon EOS-10D with a Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens. The quality is not great. I bought this camera and lens to upgrade from my Olympus Camedia E-20. But the Olympus takes better pictures. Do you think it is the lens? Do I need a better one. I have uploaded a sample from each camera.
Thanks, Alan
Attached Images
alanhoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:24 PM   #2

It's not just the lens, but the cameras as well...
-> The D10 has a bigger sensor hence it's DOF is much more shallower than the E20

Check it out:

For example @ 10ft the DOF of a 140mm f/2.8 on a 10D is 0.16ft
whereas the equivalent focal lenght of the E20 @ 36mm f/2.8 is an entire foot (and you can see this effect in your sample image)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:12 AM   #3

Hi Alan, I'm not familiiar with either camera, but I don't see any real problem, it's probably a question of basic camera settings, check around in the camera menus to

see what adjustments are available. Also with indoor shots I've always set white balance manually for best results.

Re. the lenses you could have used settings, and distancethat favour the Olympus, I'd certainly experiment more, at different apertures with the Canon ... f8 is usually

pretty near the sweet spot for most lenses. I never rely on auto operation, largely I use aperture priority.

I've made a slight tweak in Photoshop on the canon side of your test pic, it doesn't look so terrible. ... Jack
Attached Images
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Alan, I've just merged your two posts together as you had posted the same question in the Canon P&S section as well as in the dSLR section so replies would get confused and people are likely to double up.

I think NHL has pointed you in the right direction as the one eye looks sharp no the Canon shoot but with such a shallow dof you soon get out of focus areas.

Check with normal shots, landscape etc and see how things are looking.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote