Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:01 PM   #1

After years of using my 10D with a dedicated flash triggering my two monolights, I began to experience problems where, after the first couple of successful shots, the pictures become extremely underexposed. At first, I thought the speedlight manual setting was too low, but this has proven not to be the case. Then I thought that I was somehow moving out of range of the monolight sensors, but again, this is not the case. So, I am hoping someone may be able to help! Could it be thatmy 10D is just gettingold?

Also, just purchased the 40D and plan on using the same studio set up or buying the radio control Canon sells. Do you know if the Canon's radio control transmitter works with only Canon Speedlites?
Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:35 AM   #2

Are you sure it's not a pre-flash problem here?
As even in manual the camera still commands the dedicated flash to preflash fooling your monolight in triggering too soon...
(You can test this by pushing the AE lock button) and the monolights are really off when the shutter is released

-> If this is the case then hold tha AEL button down (1st to pre-flash) then you can squeeze the shutter next and you monolights will fire at the correct time

A 2nd solution is to use a tiny standard non-dedicated flash on the hot-shoe as this device won't pre-flash
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:25 PM   #3

I will definatelytest for the possibility of a pre-flash problem! I cannot believe I did not think of this situation before! Thanks NHL, forthis excellentsuggestion! :idea: I willlet you know of the outcome.
Trese is offline   Reply With Quote