Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:48 AM   #1

Hello all, newbie alert, so if I break the karma, apologies

A bit of history: I recently had my 300d stolen, and following insurance discussions, they said they'd give me cash, minus the excess (in Blighty, that would be lucky to get be £150).

So, not being able to live without a camera, I immediately went a-shopping, spied a 20D and ordered it.

Then got a call off the insewerants and they said "have a new 450D", which is due in a couple of days, rather like the 20D.

The question: Which one to keep?? I've done a search, read some comparisons, read a few bits & bobs comparisons, and I'm mightily :??:?

I'm a (mostly) nature photographer (very part time, unfortunately), with a Sigma 70-300 (+macro) (the 18-55 standard lens was on the camera) (the 450D having an 18-55, the 20D without it). The majority of my pics are macro flora, though the 300D gave me some good bird photo's, and the 18mm lens gave me some spectacular panoramic shots.

Thank you

onerainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Chris and welcome to Steve's.

Sorry about the 300D situation, not fun!! I personally prefer the handling of the 20D but would go with the 450D mainly that it is much newer technology and you will get a better sale value so you can more quickly upgrade to something else if you desire. Also buying a 2nd hand dSLR is something I wouldn'tdo as you never know what it has been throughand how much it has been used. The shutter mech could be pretty well worn.The 450D only has 3.5fps rather than the 5 of the 20D but you are getting 12.1 mp and I believe the same AF system. You will need to get new memory cards as the 450D uses SD rather than the 20Ds CF.

Hope that gives you a start.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:23 AM   #3

I'll second the recommendation for the 450 over the 20. 20d is quite old and I would not recommend buying a used DSLR that old. You'll appreciate the larger LCD on thee 450 and doesn't sound like you need ISO 3200.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote