Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 19, 2009, 12:50 PM   #21

I think they may be similar in the ISO department. From Steve's reviews I read...

The Canon EOS 50D camera provides ISO speeds from ISO 100 up to ISO 3200 in 1/3-stop increments, along with two high-speed settings - H1 and H2 - of ISO 6400 and ISO 12800, respectively.
and saw the same on Canon's site. So it may be the same for both 50D and T1i. I agree that the 12800 may not be useful.

griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 1:02 PM   #22
Super Moderator

I really hadn't noticed that as all the shots I had seen only went to 6400 so in that case I would expect similar results then. This is twice in a week that I've made a mistake on my info.... what is happening to me?????
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 1:56 PM   #23

Yes I would expect the T1i to have similar ISO performance to the 50d. No reason for it to be stripped down. ISO performance is one of the marketing catch phrases. Megapixels, high ISO and now Video are going to be 'the big three' in the entry level market along with live-view (implied if you have video). That's why I think Canon will continue to push down their ISO algorithms (since digic chipset is already pushed down). Build quality, weather sealing, focus systems are all things that cost Canon more money to implement so they're less likely to push those down - although I am very impressed they appear to have pushed down the xxD focus system to the xxxD line. It will be interesting to hear from sports and wildlife users that end up getting both cameras if the 500d focus system performs as well as the 50ds. We know it has the same array of points but Canon doesn't publish anything about the 'brains' behind the focus system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote