Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:30 PM   #1
Default Digital Rebel XS Continuously Shooting question

So, I bought one of the titled cameras and being the tech noob that I am, I'm kind of lost. I have the standard kit lens.

I'm trying to do continuous shooting under the "Sports" mode as well as other different kinds of modes (both manual and auto).

However, when I do this... I get shutter times automated to 1+ second(Auto mode), as well as "busy" signs for the manual mode.

Sometimes it'll let me take continuous pictures so long as the camera is focusing on something stationary, but if it's focused on my dog -- it reverts it back to a 1+ second shutter speed.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
DaveSleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:56 AM   #2

The shutter speed a camera can use for proper exposure is going to be dependent on the lighting level (and indoors is very dim to a camera), ISO speed (which is how sensitive the camera is to light), and aperture (which like the pupil in your eyes, opens or closes to let in more or less light).

If you're getting shutter speeds that long, you don't have enough light for the selected aperture (with smaller f/stop numbers representing a wider opening) and ISO speed (set it higher for faster shutter speeds).

Indoors without a flash, you'll need to use very high ISO speeds (i.e., think ISO 1600 or higher), with very wide apertures (think f/2.8 or brighter, with brighter apertures represented by smaller f/stop numbers). Your kit lens is relatively dim (widest aperture of f/3.5 on it's wide end, dropping off to f/5.6 if you zoom in more). That's not bright enough for use indoors without a flash for non-stationary subjects. So, you'll want to use the flash in lower lighting.

Are you sure you're looking at shutter speed, and not confusing it with cycle times (the length of time before you can take another photo). If you use a flash, it will take time to recharge between photos. So, that will slow down cycle times. The closer you are to a subject, the shorter the flash burst can be for a given aperture, ISO speed and lighting (allowing it to recharge faster). If you shoot a subject that is further away, recycle times will be longer (because it takes longer to recharge the flash capacitor when you use a full power flash with a longer flash burst time).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote