Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:49 AM   #1
Default Canon Xsi or Canon X1i?

I mostly take day time action shots of my 1 year old boxer and nephew's soccer and baseball games. Which camera would be the best value for my needs? Currently, the XSI comes with the two IS lens at Coscto, but the X1i is offering a $300.00 rebate with the purchase of their printer, which brings up the price. The X1i only comes with the one lens.
cynziao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:53 PM   #2

I'd personally go for the T1i but I've heard some Target stores have the XSi on clearance for $449 (since Jul 27) unfortunately the one near me has it still for $749.
configsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:35 AM   #3

I am not a big fan of combo's. Mainly because am no expert and I get the feeling that they are bundling a lens the cant sell. I would research a lense as much or more thatnI researched my dslr before I choose an upgrade lens.

I just went through that xsi vs t1i, in the end I choose the t1i because of its newer processer better iso range and improved lcd screen. It is a small upgrade in each of the things I named but it was enough for me to pay the extra 150 (at time of my purchase). the video capture is not a big deal to me, but it is a nice bonus.
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:38 AM   #4

I dont have any hands on experience with the Xsi or X1i but I did recently purchase the T1i and so far I'm really loving it! I think with the EF-S 18-55 IS kit lens the camera is currently available for ~$800.
Michael Egan
Orange Co., NY
Canon EOS Rebel T1i
MichaelT1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 1:27 PM   #5

I have both. For your needs the XSi is quite adequate. It's a great camera and you can get some pretty good deals on it now since the T1i came out. Actually the two lenses (18-55 & 55-250 are pretty decent).
Bob M

Last edited by bmullen@comcast; Aug 12, 2009 at 7:02 AM.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:46 AM   #6

XSI is great camera with no video. If looking for video look at 7D.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 5:34 PM   #7

Frys.com has the XSi for $549 today!
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 5:42 PM   #8
Super Moderator

thats a great deal. the xsi is a great camera for those that don't need video or iso 3200. the 12mp sensor is a good one and can easily compete with the 14mp and 15mp sensors.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:06 PM   #9

I've enjoyed the heck out of my Xsi, and wouldn't bother upgrading except for the higher ISO and HD video in the 60D I just ordered (sending in my old Rebel X film camera on the recycling program).
When it arrives, I'll feel a bit bolder about putting the xsi into a dry bag and using it on canoe trips and the like, so it'll still get a lot of use too. Also, after a period of using P&S digitals (while my SLRs were still film), the battery life completely amazed me.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote