Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Default Canon EOS 20d

I have a canon EOS 20d Camera and it wont turn on and I think it needs serviced. I hope some one might have a recommendation about where to send it for service and repair.

Thank you, mod4
mod4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:27 PM   #2

The right place to send it is going to be Canon, and searching their web site will tell you where the appropriate place for your section of the country or world is.

Many local camera shops will not work on digital cameras because the production cycle of any one body is so short...by the time they learn one model the next one is being released and they have to start all over, and most people tend to not hold on to a model as long as you have. I know the local Nikon authorized service center here in Dallas won't work on the digital bodies. He tells everyone to send them directly to Nikon.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:02 PM   #3

Only a guess, but there are two(2) batteries in this camera. The main one (big) that powers the picture taking/saving operations, LCD viewing and other high power consuming work. The second battery (a small watch type,about the size of a USD nickle) that keeps the date and camera configuration settings. If this little battery dies, it might prevent the basic turn on function because there is no time, etc. available to use as a base.

This little battery is in the same chamber as the big battery and is in a small pocket behind the flat side of the big battery.

Replace this little battery and see if this awakens the camera again.

This little battery only costs about $3 or $4 USD and can be purchased at most places that sells cameras (Best Buy, Staples, Kmart, WallMart, CVS, etc.).

Hope that fixes your problem.

Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:05 PM   #4

If replacing the battery doesn't fix the problem Greg is right, the place to go is Canon. I had a problem with my first DSLR (original Rebel purchased on day one of their release). Packaged it and sent it to Canon Service Center in California and their turnaround was quick. Once they received it they sent email with cost data/authorization. Camera is still working fine several years later. Cost $200 for new shutter. Well worth it at the time. That's something to consider, you may be a able to fine a good used 20D for the cost of repairs depending on what's wrong with the camera. Just a thought.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote