Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Default Shutter Lag Cont.

Hi Everybody,
I just read the posts about shutter lag.

I just got a 40D and I'm reading the manual and learning. I think I set something but I don't know what, so I can't undo it.

Now, when i take a picture, there is a VERY long lag time between the camera focusing and the shutter actually releasing. The red eye light flashes yellow, there's a beeping and then I wait several seconds before the picture is taken. At first i couldn't figure out what was happening and kept wondering where the pictures went? Now I know I'm waiting for the picture to be taken. I looked up shutter delay in the manual but there's no entry.

Is this shutter lag? I'm prefocussing, I think. It's indoors in a dimly lit room. would that make the lag much longer than 0.7sec? I'm waiting a lot more than 1/7th sec.

Thanks again,
1canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2

It sounds like you set it to a Self Timer drive mode (either 2 seconds or 10 seconds). ;-)

Press the AF-Drive Mode button and spin the control dial to the right of the LCD to switch between Single Shot, Continuous Lo, Continuous Hi, and two different self timer modes.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:48 PM   #3

Remove both batteries and let it sit for a few minutes ... then reinstall both batteries. You can find the instructions for removing the coin cell by going to Canon "Support and Service" tab for your model or go here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...pportDetailAct and then type in the following question: How do I replace the date / backup battery in the camera?

The coin cell is in a holder in the main battery compartment, as explained at the above Canon site.

This should reset your camera to its factory defaults and you will need to re-enter date, time, etc.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote