Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 11, 2003, 4:47 AM   #1
Default Canon Digital Rebell or Fuji Finepix s7000

Hi everybody,
want to buy a good camera and have seen the different reviews, but till now I don't have any idea what would be the better camera.

Would be nice to get some feedback of someone who has got experience with the EOS Digital Rebell of the Fuji S7000.

mrperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2003, 5:04 AM   #2

Get the Rebel buddy.
Don't waste your time with a Fuji Finepix.
You can't go wrong with the Rebel, I've had mine about a month now and I absolutely LOVE this camera.

I've had about 7 different digicams and wasted many thousands of dollars over the last 8 years and I finally found a camera that I'll be happy with for a while.

The speed, flexibility, and responsiveness of the Rebel are awesome.

allenj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 1:21 PM   #3

I agree with allenj4. Go for the Rebel. My company bought one a couple of weeks ago and Ive been using it quite often. Excellent entry level DSLR.

Nikon 5700
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 7:00 PM   #4

I have had mine just two days and couldn't agree more. Really sweet setup.
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:45 AM   #5

I have to agree with the other posters - digital SLRs are the way to go.

You will lose the LCD preview that the s7000 has but what you will gain is a digicam which has nearly no shutter lag. If you miss a shot it's because you didn't press the shutter.

About the only other downside to the Rebel is that you'll have to buy an additional lens to get the range of focal lengths you get with the S7000. But if you want you can buy a 28-200 lens and get the range you're looking for.

Something to remember is that an SLR is a system - you can easily have more money invested in lenses and accessories than the body itself.

But the upside is that if you get into macro photography you can get lenses and accessories for this. If you're into birds - buy a 300mm lens and go nuts.

Eventually most of us on this forum are going to upgrade from the 10D or 300D to the next generation of bodies. The upside is that it's a safe bet that the lenses will work on this body. You have a lot less guarantee of this if you buy a P&S digicam.

The other nice thing is that if you're travelling you could carry an extra film camera body as a spare. When I go to Europe next year I'm taking a spare body just in case I can't charge batteries etc. A used rebel 35mm body is pretty cheap insurance for those 'trip of a lifetime' shots.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:43 PM   #6

It really depends on what you intend to do with the camera and how you will use it in typical day to day fashion.

I have the 10D which is similar to the Rebel and shares a common processor. I also have the S7000, so I can give you some pretty good detailed info about each.

The S7000's image at ISO 200 is similar to the Rebel's image at about ISO 800. There is more noise with any of the smaller sensor digicams, especially as ISO goes up. Having an effective 35mm to 210mm F2.8 throughout is a decent advantage, and will cost you lots of bucks to duplicate on the Canon. You can add an Olympus TCON-17 (1.7x) lens to the S7000 and shoot at 357mm, but realistically that's about as far as you will get. So if longer range telephoto is interesting to you, the Canon dSLR approach is much more versatile.

On the other hand the S7000 has an excellent macro and good "super macro" built-in, so it's quite possible to go from a super macro to a reasonable telephoto without changing lenses, and there is never a "dust" issue to contend with when you use a fixed lens.

The absolute resolution on the S7000 may be a bit better than on the 300D simply because of the Super CCD extrapolation to 12 megapixel mode which pushes the six megapixel native resolution closer to 8 megapixels per resolution chart measurements. However, the RAW conversion on the Fuji is a big "Joke" at present because the provided RAW converter only converts the RAF file to an 8 bit tiff and there is absolutely no way to manipulate the file at all "before" converting. Big MINUS for Fuji - shame on them......

The S7000 has a dynamite movie mode (I know, one shouldn't buy a six megapixel camera to take movies - better a cheap camcorder) which can make 640x480 resolution movies with sound at a full 30 frames per second. The length of the continuous movie is limited only by the media with a 1 gigabyte MicroDrive or CF card rendering about 15 minutes worth.

There is a great buffer on the Fuji which has a pre and post capture mode which greatly compensates for the slower autofocus and shutter lag compared to the Canon 300D.

If you are truly into "photography" as art, the 300D is a better tool. But for a "carry" camera, the S7000 is hard to beat.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote