Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:38 AM   #21

... Well they are spec'ed to operate @ lower 0 to 55℃ (about 15 degree lower than the industrial specs microdrive), which is still within commercial temperature range for most other electronics parts !

The electronics will shut the drives down to self protect outside their operating limits (ie the camera will see this as an error just like any other media), but I highly doubt they will go belly up... Hey you get what you pay for, which is not much for a 2G, but will force other manufacturers to keep their prices in check which is good for all of us in the end. 8)

BTW look up the 1Ds manual which is like most other commercial cameras is only rated for 0 ~ 45C (113 F)...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:53 AM   #22

thats working temp is OAT not internal. as we both know the exclusive right hand warmer feature of the D series minolta camera tends to alarm a few people though it does help on those nippy mornings.

well they do shut down more often then the MD. why do you think they put that informational disclaimer in the ad. it has become an issue and obviously they're doing a little damage control. its not nice to have a drive shut down in the middle of a shoot until it cools. that is a reliability liability. i can't think of anytime a lexar sscf card shutdown for temp can you?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:23 PM   #23

Originally Posted by sjms
All your answers are right here

bottom line a 40x quality brand name CF card will be approx 20% faster then a IBM/Hitachi 1GB microdrive. the 4Gb MD was even more disappointing in the transfer dept on canon cameras.

remember you are limited by the internal buffer of the camera and the firmware that sets priorities for function and power consumption.
Right and Wrong

I just want to let it be known that I read this review on the listed site and I ended up buying the most top of the line CF card (San-Disk Extream 1gig $350+) ...to say the least I am VERY disapointed.

On that website there is a chart that shows my previous card (San Disk 512 Standard) running @ 724K/sec ON THE DIGITAL REBEL, which is one of the slowest out of all of the CF cards. So I thought to myself "ahh man...I'm missing out on performance big time." In fact, I did miss a few great shots in the past because I was waiting for the buffer to clear on the 300D.

So what do I do? I drop $350+ on a San Disk Extream 1 Gig thinking that I'm going to see a HUGE difference because after all... That site did test these cards and the chart did say that my camera would run @ wopping 1324K/sec! in the DIGITAL REBEL.

Well, to make a long story short I didnt even the SLIGHTEST of difference in this new card...not one bit. The camera has the exact same performance I had with a standard CF card.

So if your reading this, debating on picking up a higher performance card please DONT. Save your money and buy MORE memory instead. It's the camera thats slow...not the CF card. You wont see much of a difference out of a faster card. Save your money and thank me down the road, unless you plan on upgrading to a different camera in the near future... but thats a different story.

Good luck!

Heres a night shot in the rain that I just took about an hour ago. Check it out.

vw1972bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:31 AM   #24

It depends on what you shoot...

In jpeg (2.4MB/picture max.):
2.4/1.324 = 1.81s
2.4/.724 = 3.31s
However most of the time the pictures in jpeg are smaller than 2.4M depending on the compression and level of details in the scene (a blank wall or a nightshot are not good tests), the file size, hence the differences are much too small or variation in start/stoping the stopwatch for anyone to tell... ie fast cards really doesn't help jpeg images.

In RAW however (6MB/picture min.):
6/1.324 = 4.53s
6/.724 = 8.29s
The difference in time is now almost double/picture and the file size remains relatively constant in this format. With a large buffer and especially with multiple images in a row one can certainly tell the diferences!

On another note, manufacturers constantly change their flash dies to improve the manufacturing yields (hence cost) from various sources or factories (and the camera firmware can also change), so the tabulated reference timings may fluctuate as well. :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote