Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:08 AM   #11
Default Focus issue with Canon XSi + lenses

Peripatetic & JimC,... I'm sorry I didn't get back to this post, but I've been FOCUSED on other issues. I really want to thank both of you as I feel the information you have added to this post is going to help me a whole lot. Some of the things that both of you have pointed out, I had already concluded for myself and had started using them. An example is to focus on the edge of my target where there is good "Edges" and contrast and focus lock it and re-compose the final image. I have also studied many other images taken by others and have found the same results, such as, "not getting tight focus on Deep magenta, or Blue, and especially white flowers. There is just no contrast on those flat images. It is like trying to focus on a flat white wall.

I did shoot some 300mm telephoto shots yesterday on the XSi while I was in the house, out of the rain, on a very cloudy day. There were several geese playing in the pond and the Auto Focus just kept hunting back and forth. It finally did lock but the bird moved and spoiled the shot.

I do find that my new FZ35 18X zoom has a "Very quick" AF at full zoom. It also has an outstanding Image Stabilization system which does a great job at 480mm. My Canon 75-300mm (eq;84-480) does not have IS so I have to be real careful with it.

Again, I want to thank you for all the information and suggestions. I think now is the time for me to get back to school and start soaking up some of this knowledge and shoot a lot more pictures.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote