Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:37 AM   #11

Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Aperture costs $200, Lightroom around $250.

I'm sure ACD is fine, but it's $190. Because it's not one of the leaders I would want it to be a lot cheaper than that to tempt me away from the big guns.
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. ACD is highly regarded in the industry and is ranked among the best in work flow efficiency.

I'm not a "me too" kind of guy. I've been a working photog for over 30 years and I use what works for me. I do like Lightroom, but I like ACD Pro 3 better.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:42 AM   #12

I have downloaded the adobe plug 5.5 for Camera RAW that is suppose to work with Photoshop Elements 7.0. I down loaded and installed it following Adobe's instructions.

I can't get PSE to open any CR2 files.

Am I trying to do what simply cannot be done? Is PSE just incapable of understanding CR2?

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:50 AM   #13

Chanes are, you're missing a step somewhere. For example, you downloaded the wrong plugin, didn't unzip it using something like winzip or pkunzip to extract the needed Camera Raw.8bi plugin file (you can't install the downloaded .zip file, since you have to extract the plugin first), you didn't run CameraProfiles.exe (as in step 2 below), or you copied the new Camera Raw.8bi plugin to the wrong folder.

Make sure you're using the download link on this page (which is setup specifically for Elements users):

Then, make sure you're following the instructions on that page carefully, especially the folder you need to copy the plugin to (*after* you unzip the download to extract the needed Camera Raw.8bi file). Here are the instructions from that page:

After downloading a ".zip" file, use the operating system or a utility such as WinZip or PKZIP to access the file's contents.

Need help with downloading? See our Downloading Help documents.

This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original Camera Raw plug-in that was installed with Adobe Creative Suite 4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 6.0 or 7 and Premiere Elements 4.0 or 7.

To install with Adobe Photoshop Elements:
NOTE: You must follow all of the new instructions in order to successfully install the Camera Raw Plug-in for Photoshop Elements.

1. Exit Photoshop Elements
2. Open the download file and double-click CameraProfiles.exe and follow the on-screen instructions
3. Open My Computer
4. Double-click Local Disk C:
5. Navigate to the location designated by your version of Photoshop Elements: (Please read directory carefully)

a. Photoshop Elements 6.0: Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

b. Photoshop Elements 7.0: Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

6. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
7. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 5.
8. Launch Photoshop Elements.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:39 PM   #14

Jim C,

I followed your advice and still no-go.

Then I decided to reload the updates for PSE 7 (a second time). I originally loaded the PSE updates, then loaded the PLUG.

I loaded the PLUG, rebooted, still a no-go.

So, after chasing and chasing and chasing problems, I decided to go back to the Adobe website and install PSE 7 updates.

Shut down and started up again.

So it was either A: I should have shut down, and gone thru a full startup OR B: not all updates loaded the first time or got corrupted during the PLUG install.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:09 AM   #15
Default Lightroom 2

Well, I bought Lightroom 2 and installed it yesterday.
I also got a copy of Scott Kelby's book on Lightroom 2.

Allow me to start by saying that Lightroom doesn't seem to be user friendly from the get-go. For example, in Kelby's book he lists 26 steps in just setting up the LR Library. That doesn't include any photo editing, just setting up the library.

I'm sure that in the long run, these steps will help. But it's kicking my tail right now.

One more time, somebody tell me it's worth this initial headache.

Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:05 AM   #16
Super Moderator

once you have everything organized and tagged for easy navigation and can find photos from 2-3 years ago in mere seconds, and when you can batch process a whole shoots worth of images that only need minor/similar post-processing. you will forget about the time you spent setting it up.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:13 AM   #17
Super Moderator

It sure is.

If you haven't seen the video tutorials at Luminous-Landscape I can highly recommend them. Cheaper than a book and far more informative.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote