Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:30 PM   #1
Default T1i and cold weather help

This is my first DSLR and I love the camera and in December I'm going to Texas to an ice sculpture exhibit. Inside the exhibit it is kept at 9 degrees Fahrenheit. The camera specs say I think 32 is minimum operating temp. Would it better to not take the camera and possibly miss cool shots or do something else. Ive read the bag trick when comming out but I just want first hand experieince from others if at all possible. Thanks
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:30 PM   #2

The biggest problem, dSLR or P&S, will be condensation. As soon as you enter, the drop in temperature will cause the humidity to condense in the air pockets within the camera and lens. It might take a while for the condensation to evaporate. You might want to stick some silica gel packets into the bag along with the camera to reduce the humidity in and around the camera for a while before you go in.

Another problem you might have is that batteries in low temperatures don't perform as well, so you might want to bring a spare.

As far as the 32F minimum operating temperature goes, you should be ok. The camera generates some heat on it's own, and keeping it in you hands for as long as you'll be in there, should prevent any problems.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote