Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:01 AM   #1
Default Accessories for T1i

I just received my new T1i with 18-55mm & 55-250mm lenses. It also came with a Lowepro Rezo 170 AW bag. Now I need a couple of other things. Tripod with quick release. UV filters. Spare battery. Anything else I need? Any brand and model recommendations as well as suggestions on reliable low cost online sources for these and other photo items would be appreciated. Also online sources to avoid.

I would also like another lens. I have been using a Panasonic DMC-FZ30 for about four years. I like it because it can zoom from 35 to 420mm (35mm equiv) and I seem to use the entire range on most outings. I like to take candid shots at parties so I'm off in the distance shooting people. Just got back from a family vacation at Disneyland where I was taking pictures of my children, their spouses, and my grandchildren. I also took some scenery shots and as usual I used the entire zoom range of the Panasonic. (The T1i was waiting for me when I got home.) So are there any good lenses for the T1i that would give me the same flexibility as the Panasonic. I know the lenses that came with my camera cover that range but I don't want to have to keep changing lenses. I can't afford $2500+ for a good Canon 18-300mm. So I'm looking for something under $1000.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:22 AM   #2

If you really want an "all in one" type lens, I'd probably look at the Tamron 18-250mm or 18-270mm VC (which would give you about the same angle of view range you'd have using a 29-432mm lens on a 35mm camera). But, you'd get better image quality sticking with more than one lens to cover the same range.

It looks like newest Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Lens with Vibration Control is selling for around $529 after mail in rebates right now.

If you can live with 200mm on the long end (same angle of view you'd have using a 320mm lens on a 35mm camera), you may also want to consider the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

As for UV filters, I personally don't use them to reduce the potential for image degradation due to flare related issues. But, if you want them, here's a review of some of the popular models:

I'd check out our Tripods and Heads Forum for thoughts on a Tripod. You'll find some threads discussing pros and cons of various models in it.

For batteries, I'd stick to the camera manufacturers battery if possible. If you do want to try a third party replacement, I'd probably go with one sold by a major dealer like http://www.bhphotovideo.com or http://www.adorama.com so that you're more likely to get one from a reputable manufacturer that insures circuitry for voltage protection is built in.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:40 AM   #3

You should be aware that the quality of those superzoom lenses will be less than using the 2 lenses you already own. So, you're trading quality for convenience. That's true of any superzoom lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote