Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:08 PM   #1
Default Canon 50D focus issue

I have a Canon 50D which I got last summer and a Canon18x200mm zoom lens. I have been having an issue with the auto focus on this camera. When pressing the shutter button half way the camera shows me it is focusing based on the red led lights in the view screen, so I am assuming it is focusing on the area shown by the red light. However I am finding that many of my photos are way out of focus. This reached a new high/low at Christmas. I took over 125 photos and only 12 were in focus! I have to wonder if there is an issue with my camera or lens. Has anyone else had similar focus issues?
qom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:25 PM   #2

The fact that some were in focus is a good sign. It may be an issue of front-focus/back-focus. Take a look at this Focus Test Chart.

Also, do you have some of them posted online somewhere, so we can see the full size originals?
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i shoot the 50d as well. and yes it is focusing on the areas marked by the red squares. and no, i have had zero problems with my 50d focusing, in fact, quite the opposite.

as tcav mentioned. it is possible that your lens is front or back focusing. it is also possible that it is user error. we would need some full size images with exif data intact to help narrow down the problem.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:40 AM   #4
Default Focus Issue

"For even more precise autofocusing, the Canon EOS 50D allows AF Microadjustment as we first saw in the 1D III. This is an excellent feature that lets you perfectly focus-calibrate either the camera individually or your lenses individually to the camera. If a camera or lens is significantly miscalibrated, it should be sent to Canon for adjustment, but for the rest, I suggest running the lenses through an easy focus calibration procedure."

This might help...Read your manual for the instructions on how to do this....
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote