Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1

Default T1i Autofocus Problem

The autofocus on my T1i has stopped working. Pressing the shutter release half way does nothing. I can still focus with the AE Lock button but that's not how the autofocus is supposed to function. I've tried two lenses, both set to AF. I think I have checked every setting on the camera. I've read the entire manual and searched the WEB for an answer. It's a mystery to me, any assistance would be appreciated.

cheers
scottie
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:07 AM   #2
Administrator

It sounds like you're in a Live View mode. That's the way Autofocus works when using Live View with your camera (press the AE/AF lock button to focus).

Look in your Setup menu and change the Live View settings to disabled and see if that fixes it.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:13 AM   #3

Have you tried reverting to the default settings? (See page 136 of the T1i Instruction Manual.)
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I've tried both suggestions and it made no difference. I am back to the default settings and Live View is disabled, AF is just not working.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:47 PM   #5
akj

Default AF Problems in T1i

I had the exact same problem with a brand new unit (day 1, after taking about 20-30 shots). The AF for the pre-set modes stopped working. The lens would move in and out as if trying to AF, but the yellow AF indicator never goes off and the shutter does not release. I did some research and it appears this has happened to quite a few other users. They had to send the camera to canon for repairs. I did not want to send my 1 day old unit for repairs, so I returned the camera, and I am now looking for a Nikon, since I don't trust canon anymore.

Last edited by akj; Jan 4, 2010 at 8:51 PM.
akj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:02 PM   #6

Bring it back to the shop you got it, it is still under warranty have them send it to canon. That is your best corse of action IMHO.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7

Under the Custom Functions menu #10 (Operation/Others Shutter/AE Lock button)...make sure the you have it set at "0: AF/AE lock".

If you have it set at "3:AE/AF, no AE lock" it will do exactly what you are describing. This allows you to use the AE lock button to autofocus instead of half pressing the shutter realease button.

Hope this helps.
jgo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj View Post
I had the exact same problem with a brand new unit (day 1, after taking about 20-30 shots). The AF for the pre-set modes stopped working. The lens would move in and out as if trying to AF, but the yellow AF indicator never goes off and the shutter does not release.
That doesn't sound like the OP's problem, if the camera is trying to focus.

That sounds more like insufficient light for the camera to focus. Were you indoors when trying it and/or using any filters on the lens that may have been impacting Autofocus?

Sometimes a simple thing like remounting a lens can correct some problems, too (as with a brand new camera, you may have a bit of film over the electronic contacts since it's not broken in well yet).

Quote:
I did not want to send my 1 day old unit for repairs, so I returned the camera, and I am now looking for a Nikon, since I don't trust canon anymore.
You'll see issues with any camera brand from time to time, including Nikon. None of them have a perfect track record as far as Quality Control is concerned. For example, Nikon had to recall a number of D5000 bodies due to a problem not long ago. ;-)

http://nikonusa.com/Service-And-Supp...-Advisory.page
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:01 PM   #9

It's fixed...Wahoo.........Thanks for all the replies. So this is what happened. A freind of mine had a similar problem, so we took TCav's advice and tried to reset to the default settings, which I had already tried with no success, but my buddy said to hold the "SET" button down for at least 10 seconds when clearing custom settings and i'll be darned it worked. It sounds a little fishy to me, but whatever works.

Thanks Again for the replies.
Cheers
scottie
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:03 PM   #10

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I will note that just incase it happens to my t1i. Go follow up.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote