Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:05 PM   #1
Default 7d.. lens questions on a tamron

ok.. i feel that i will buy the 7d on friday.. i have 2 tamron lens that are 2.8 28-75, and 70-200..for a Sony. the camera place is going to exchange them for me towards the ones that will fit the canon..
here is my ???.. the salesmen wants to keep me in the tamron lenses. but i see that canon has IS in the lens. should i try to combine these and buy the canon 2.8 70-200 that has the IS built in it.. or will these lens work for me without the IS .. my sony had it built into the camera. so there was no problems with this.. the count down it coming..3 days out..
im nervous but excited as well.. i'm trying to do all the research now. but really running out of time
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:11 PM   #2

get the canon lens, it is a sports lens, the tamron is not suite for that kind of photography.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:18 AM   #3

How is this thread different than the other thread where you asked the exact same question? The answer is really unchanged. The tamron 70-200 2.8 is sharp but slow to focus thus not a good sports lens. In Canon, IS isn't necessary for sports use. Which is why I bought the non-IS version - the $600 I saved went to other equipment that was more beneficial. If I shot more weddings I would have bought the IS version.

And, as mentioned in the other thread -if you want to save even more money then the sigma 70-200 2.8 is the best alternative to Canon.

Same for the 28-75 - sharp lens but slow to focus (compared to canon's ring USM or sigma's hsm lenses).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote