Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2010, 9:14 PM   #1
Default Need workflow assistance

I recently upgraded from a 10D to a 7D. I am keeping the 10D however but my dilemna is this: I have Photoshop CS2 and do not plan to upgrade to latest PS version. Adobe has upgraded camera raw to include the 7D in the latest version but it is not available for CS2. With the 10D, I went directly to PS with my raw files and created TIF files which I used for creating my final pictures. I cannot do that now. I have seen some users on other forums suggesting converting 7D raw files to dng using Adobe's free digital converter and then going to PS with those. I have thought of using Digital Photo Professional to create TIF files instead. If I do that however, should I do any post processing in DPP before creating the TIF and then finish up in PS? When I used PS CS2 raw converter with my 10D files, I just created TIF files and then did all post processing in CS2. I am stuck.
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I think using DPP first and then importing your tiffs to CS2 would be the best method.

keep in mind that RAW files have alot more sensor or light data than a jpeg or tiff. so make use of all that data. if you just convert straight over at default values, then you really are missing the point of raw.

use the DPP to bring out any shadows, or bring back blown highlights. make any exposure corrections. for example if the photo looks underexposed, bring up the exposure in DPP. also, if you white balance is off, use the eye dropper tool to fix it. then make your tiff. then you can continue your processing in CS2.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:43 AM   #3

+1. fine tune your conversion settings in DPP, when you are happy you can batch convert to 16-bit TIFF and finish your editing in CS.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote