Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 1, 2003, 2:37 AM   #1
Default Tokina 280 AT-X Pro (28-80mm f2.8) with Digital Rebel?

Does anybody have any experience of the Tokina 280 AT-X Pro lens (28-80mm f2.8) especially with digital SLRs? I handled one in the local photo shop last weekend and was impressed with the construction and build quality of this lens.

Unfortunately, I was not able to do any testing at that time as I left the Digital rebel at home. Would appreciate any comments and feedbacks regarding the optical quality of this lens compared with the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DF AF and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di lenses.

Thanks and best regards!
cmk7128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:40 AM   #2

I can't comment on the Tokina or Sigma lenses that you are considering, but I can give a good recommendation on the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di lens.

I purchased it a few weeks back and have taken a lot of shots with it under varying conditions to test it out. I am very impressed with the overall sharpness and speed of the lens. It has performed well under both daylight and flash conditions. It focuses fairly rapidly, albeit a shade noisier than Canon but not really an issue. The weight of the lens compliments the camera body well while not sacrificing build quality. It comes with a removable lens hood and has a nice switch to lock the lens in the 28mm position to prevent the lens from extending while suspended in your case. All in all, it's a very good lens!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 12:13 AM   #3
Default Tokina 280 AT-X Pro

I have the both the Tokina and the new Canon 24-70. The Tokina is built like a tank and feels like the pro lens it is. I also think it has a nice warm color comparable to the Canon (I thought the Sigma was cool by comparison). I've found the Tokina to be very sharp at f2.8. I don't really shoot much beyond f11 so can't comment on the smaller apertures. However, I would definitely consider this lens as the next best thing to Canon's 24-70. Get one, you won't regret it.

Hope this helps!

jfricks is offline   Reply With Quote