Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Default Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens Compatible with Canon Rebel T1i/500D?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Rebel T1i EF-S with the 18-55mm IS Kit. To this point we've been using it primarily for family shots and we're extremely happy with it, light-years above the typical point and click or course.

I am a storm chaser, and I've been looking for an all-purpose superzoom to take on my trip. I've been looking at the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens
but I have a question:

The product description of the camera says:

EOS Rebel T1i is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF and EF-S lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses.

However, the product description of the lens itself says:

*For EOS 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 20Da, Rebel XSi/XS, Digital Rebel XTi/XT and Digital Rebel.

So, on the one hand, the camera description says it's compatible with all EF and EF-S lenses, while the lens does not reference the T1i as one of the cameras that can use it. Which is correct, and if my camera can't use this lens, why not?

I've posted the question to Canon, but I figure if someone is using the lens with the Rebel T1i now on this forum, that would settle it.

The second part of the question I guess is am I looking in the right direction? I would prefer an all-purpose lens for these trips. It's very difficult to change lenses on the fly while chasing storms, and the environment (van, dirt roads, wind, etc.) is not exactly conducive to exposing the inner-workings of your camera to the elements.

I should also add that my wife is NOT tech savvy, and we use the camera for typical family things a lot, hence another vote in favor of not having to switch lenses or adjust the equipment too much.

Thoughts? .. and thanks in advance, this is my first post, and while I'm a techie, in the realm of DSLR cameras I'd consider myself a "novice with potential".

Rphamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:16 AM   #2

Simple... because the lens description page hasn't been updated to include newer camera models like the EOS-7D and T1i. ;-)

The lens was introduced before those cameras were being made, and it's not uncommon for manufacturers to neglect updating some description pages when new cameras are introduced. You'll see the same thing on their lens chart for *all* EF-S lenses, including the kit lenses the cameras are bundled with (because the chart has not been updated to include the newer camera models yet):

Yes, you can use any Canon EF-S or EF mount lens on your T1i, including that Canon 18-200mm.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3

EF-s lens were design for the crop body canon's. EF will work on all canon bodies.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote