Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:06 PM   #1

Default Rebel XT?

Wanted to know what you guy think about the Canon Rebel XT, I have a Nikon P90 at the moment and found this Canon for $250/obo. Is the Canon hard to learn, I am still kinda new to photography but really wanting to get into it a lot more. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:17 PM   #2

Buying a used dSLR, especially from someone you don't know, is a big gamble. You don't know how much use and abuse it's had.

Adorama sells a factory refurbished Canon XS with the stabilized kit lens, and a 1 year guarantee, for $390. I'd call $250 for an XT with no warranty, a little pricey.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:24 PM   #3

Oooh, thank you for letting me know, I have no clue about dSLR's at all. And I knew if I came here people would give me some great honest answers!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:30 PM   #4

dSLRs have a lot more moving parts than other types of cameras, and the reliability of those components is always a concern. That XT may be in perfect condition,and may serve you well for years to come. But there's no way to know that ahead of time, and that's a big gamble.

In addition, when you buy a dSLR, you're making a committment to a photographic system. If you buy a used camera body, and then you buy lenses and other accessories for it, what will you do if the camera fails? You're stuck with all that other stuff, so you have to buy another body that it will fit , or you'll have to sell all your other stuff and start from scratch. It can be a real headache.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:41 PM   #5

Very true, I thought it may be in good condition since a military person is selling it here on base. But some people like that can always trick you too. Thank you for your help and I will keep everything you say in mind when looking for one. Do you have a suggestion on a good newbie dSLR by any chance?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:26 AM   #6

Here's a tutorial on how to use the XT. The photography basics in the tutorial could be applicable to other DSLRs. http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...&articleID=279
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki0 View Post
... Do you have a suggestion on a good newbie dSLR by any chance?
That's a question best asked in the What Camera Should I Buy? forum.

Talk about what types of photography you want to do (Landscape, Macrophotography, Sports/Action/Wildlife, Events, Portraiture, etc.) and how much you have to sepnd.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:47 AM   #8

buying used is always a bit risky, but XT is still a very nice capable camera, although a bit dated, still have one myself, but rarely use it. If you have limited funds and want something nice to start with, this might be a good bargain, IF it comes with a lens, battery, CD, cables etc. AND everything is in good conditions and there are no signs of abuse and the sensor is reasonably clean.
If you are not really pressed for funds, pay a bit more and buy a new camera as has been said above - all those new features come in handy and you will have warranty if you need it.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:49 PM   #9

Like Alex-

I am also a Canon XT owner. I don't use it much anymore and it had been out on loan to my brother for 6 months. Keep in mind that the XT is probably 4 to 5 generation past in Canon DSLR development. So IMHO it is not worth $250 at all. Probably, $150 to $170 depending on condition.

There are still a lot of good deals out there on new Canon XSi or even T1i cameras. IMO the XS is a bit too far down the Canon "food chain" to buy and use for an extended time. My feeling is if you purchased the XS in 6 months, you would be seriously looking at upgrading.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote