Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:05 PM   #1
Default Canon 5D MkII remote

I am looking for a wireless remote for my Canon 5D MkII. I want to be able to use the shutter release from a distance over 10 ft, leave the shutter opened for very long exposures, and the remote be palm sized.

Any thoughts.
cjglancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:36 PM   #2

I use the RC-1 made by Canon.

By setting the camera to Time Value, you can get the exposure time to just about what ever you need it to be.

The max distance from the camera to the remote is about 15 feet.

My complaint has been that I must be in front of the camera aiming the RC-1 towards the camera for it to work. Because the wireless release is infra-red technology, you have to aim the remote control at the sensor on the camera. The sensor is on the front of the camera.

You can set the shutter to release either immediately, 2 second delay or a 10 second delay.

My guess is that there are after-market wireless releases made to canon specs.

But I've been happy with my RC-1. By the way, I keep my RC-1 in a zip-loc plastic bag. It is so small, it can get easily lost in my camera bag.

Faithfully yours,
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:07 PM   #3

I use Pocket wizards for both firing strobes and the camera shutter. They are radio controlled and Im pretty sure the spec is 300 ft non directional. You can set what ever you want the exposure to be in manual, they do not transmitt ETTL data. This is strictly all manual set up. I even have a transmitter to fire the strobes built into my Sekonic light meter so I can meter the strobes at the subject position from what ever angle I am looking for. The only other alternative I know of is the canon wired contol for that body and an extension cord or the RC1
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote