Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:23 PM   #1
Default Canon 85mm f/1.8 vs Sigma 70-200 EX DG f/2.8

I wanted to know if the Sigma would be as good, same, r better than the 85mm for indoor basketball,,,IQ wise..

Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:50 AM   #2

Well, the 85 focuses a bit faster that's for sure. The sigma is no slouch, but the 85 is a fantastic focusing lens.
The 85 is also sharper - but it's a prime so it's to be expected.
And, of course you lose a stop-plus with the 70-200, so you're going to be shooting at higher ISOs. I don't shoot the 60d, so you will have to judge if the ISO 3200-6400 performance is acceptable FOR YOU.

Now, what a 70-200 gives you is a whole lot of flexibility. You'll be able to get shots you wouldn't get with the 85. On a pure IQ standpoint the 85 will be slightly better (assuming 85 is at 1.8 or 2.0 - it will definitely be better if stopped down to 2.8). Again, that's the nature of a great prime lens vs. a great zoom.

For me, I prefer the flexibility of a 70-200 to get more shots of a different variety. And on an aps-c camera, the extra 15mm at the wide end is a definite bonus. But make no mistake, the flexibility is what you're getting - you'll see a bit of IQ drop because you're at a higher ISO and the zoom just isn't as sharp as the prime. And you'll see a slight drop in focus speed too. Classic example of quality of prime vs. convenience/versatility of zoom. Except with basketball, you can't "zoom with your feet" to make up for the shortcomings of a prime.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote