Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Default Canon EFS 18-55mmVs 18-135mm

Hi All,

I am a newbie to DSLR photography, few months back I picked up a EOS 550D with 18-55 kit lens, later added a 55-250 zoom. The combo works great and have managed few decent shots.

I have been making few outstation trips to keep the photography enthusiast in me active, my visits include places where I could capture landscapes, massive old Hindu temples, people shots, even bird sanctuaries

My shots range between wide to zoom, and find it frustrating to keep changing lens between the 18-55 to 55-250 (there have been instances where successive shots require different lens) . A friend recommended chucking the 18-55 and going in for a 18-135 to solve this problem.

Need your help on making a decisionů would 18-135 help me overcome my problem ? Also any feedback on the image quality ? Pls help.
deepakpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:31 AM   #2

Yes, but you give up on image quality. As the 18-135 is a okay lens, not great. It has some CA issues and pf at time. Do you go to 250 allot, if so I would look at the 18-270 VC form tamron over the canon, it will cover everything your 2 lens kit covers. But you will be give a little of image quality as megazoom lens is a compromise.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:25 PM   #3

some other alternatives are
canon 18-200mm IS
sigma 18-200mm OS
sigma 18-250mm OS
sigma 50-150mm

not bad but not spectacular
its a compromise really
very convenient though
rent one for the weekend, some places give the rental cost back if you buy the lens
i would start with the sigma 18-250 but the tamron has some reviews too
its all a matter of personal opinion and what you expect from the camera / the lens / your photo
in the end you have to be happy with it
i have the 18-55 and was quite happy with it
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:17 PM   #4

It's a convenient lens to add on to what you already have but not a replacement.
For traveling, it may be good but one lens cannot give everything that multiple lens combination gives.
For example, you loose some quality by replacing kit lens with 18-135mm plus it costs much more and for any better lens, the cost climbs even higher. But even this doesn't replace the capability of a cheap prime such as 50mm f1.8.
So, good idea to get a walkaround lens but still need additional lenses.
Panasonic ZS7
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote