Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:15 AM   #1
Default Cheap lens for Canon 500D?

I am an amateur photographer who has recently bought a Canon 500D about 4 months ago. I am getting used to its various functions, but the kit lens is starting to restrict me, because of the low "zoom level". What would be the best CHEAP lens for me to get? (this would probably be the only additional lens i'll get).

Thanks in advance,
kartingchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:33 AM   #2

If you are looking for longer reach the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS is probably one of the best "bang for your buck" lenses out there. List price is about $300 US and they can be found used for around $200 US. Here's a link to a review of it. Some great shots have been posted using this lens.

PhrozeN_FisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:19 PM   #3

Yup the ef 55-250 is a sharp lenses and an not to expensive. The other cheap options does not have IS, and pass 100mm IS is very helpful for general photography. and the 55-250 is allot sharper then the cheap tamron and sigma options on the market, especially pass 200mm.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote