Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:23 PM   #1
Default T3i video lens choice...

So, first of all, I'm digging my new T3i. I've tried video on several different lenses, with an eye toward figuring out how best to video my son's varsity soccer games.

I've learned a few things.

#1 The kit 18 to 55 lens does a pretty good job! Turn off the IS, and zoom in and out as the ball moves up and down the field. 55 is enough to get decent detail and still allow you not to get caught with nothing in the picture.

#2 - I borrowed a 70 to 200 (white lens) that takes a beautiful shot, but it is really to much to handle at the games AND 70mm is too tight for most of the field.

#3 - Settings. I've used 1080p 30 fps 1/60, no IS and variable ISO for most thing so far. That works pretty darn good. I try to keep the f around roughly f7. Gonna try 60 fps this coming weekend.

#4 - on those settings you need roughly a 32 gig card for a full game.

Anybody else using a T3i to video games?
(Please try to ignore the soundtrack...)

In the end, I'm think something in the 18 to 100 zoom range to cover all video and 90% of my photo needs. What's a good choice, Canon or otherwise?
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:49 AM   #2

I'm impressed. You might try the Tamron 18-200mm, or for even more reach, the 18-270mm. While I haven't used them for video I have used the 18-200 & the older 18-250 for stills & they perform quite well, given the broad range of focal length. By the way, I thought the sound track was classic. You are much milder than I was the first time I filmed one of my son's soccer games. It was an excellent tool to help me learn to keep my comments to a minimum, LOL.

Last edited by jdnan; Jun 7, 2011 at 8:51 AM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote