Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:53 PM   #1
Default Indoor pics without flash

Need suggestions what settings recomended.For indoor
shooting sports action shots.need 500 to 1000 speed.
Can i do that with my new DRebel. No flash.
Thanks????? :roll:
Gary C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:18 PM   #2

You can increase the ISO, and make sure you are shotting at the lowest f-stop your lens supports (largest aperture.) Other than that... use a flash.

Anyone else?

ps. Oh, ya. Don't forget that increasing the ISO increases the noise in the picture (reducing quality.) You can't get something for nothing.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:21 PM   #3

You could always ask them to install brighter lights :lol:
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:37 PM   #4

fast lens is the name of the game... in the last week i've shot basketball, wrestling and gymnastics... all in different gyms with horribly dim lighting... and NO flash..

but I've managed to get some acceptable shots...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:19 PM   #5

I think this qestion is asked often. I asked to. I have taken sharp pics with the canon 50mm f1.8 lens no flash and iso 1600. The good point of no flssh is it feels less intrusive to take pictures that way. Of coure you get high iso noise. I think the real reason people ask this question is they are unsatisfied with pictures taken with the cameras built in flash even on the Rebel I like no flash compared to the built in flash. So I think maybe what people want should know is how much better shots come out with an external flash. I have decided to get one so I can shoot at lower ISO. I am guessing I would like bounce flash a lot as that sounds like it would produce more natural lighting. How do you bounce flash is there a method to bouncing the flash in the right spot? Hmm I always cover more then one topic in my posts .

iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:51 PM   #6

Blaine, using the built in flash for anything other than some light fill in flash is a lesson in futility. An external flash is the way to go. The key to using flash with Canon is to get a firm grasp on ETTL. I have found that setting the camera in manual and letting the flash control the subject exposure is the best overall. Av will result in slow shutter speeds and not useful for anything other than fill flash. Tv will work, but you're going to end up with a wide open aperature. P mode will give you similar results to Tv, except it will probably pick 1/60 sec for the shutter speed along with your largest f/stop. I generally set my aperature around 8 with a shutter speed of 1/80-1/125 and get pretty good results every time.

Bounce flash will soften the harsh shadows of straight flash. It does diminish the effect of the flash, so will require more power for the same distance as head on flash. Needless to say, you have to have something to bounce it off and that should be white (or you'll end up with a color cast).
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote