Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:50 AM   #1
Default Photo Sharing Web Sites?

Hi: I'm looking for a site to share my photos from the 300d. I used to use clubphoto on my CP990 but since then they've decreased the max size of the photo too much. I looked through the forum on photo sharing here but haven't found the answer to this basic question yet. With a max dial up speed here in rural MN of 26.4kbs/sec, my own web page is not an option.

Basically, I'd like a free (or inexpensive) site that I can download photos to and let friends and relatives view them in both full and smaller (screen) sizes. It simply takes too long for me to email photos to very many people.

Thanks much. gary

btw: Advice here is neither cheap nor even free when youi factor in that my 24-70 L lens is in transit
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:30 PM   #2

I use www.pbase.com Also like www.smugmug.com

I also have dial up connection, but a little better than yours. Can take 2-3 minutes per picture to upload to pbase. Try and upload at non-peak times to make it go a little faster.
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:53 PM   #3

i use www.fotopic.net. they give you 250Meg for free. uploadingpics can be slow at times as are probably most sites.

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 2:31 PM   #4

I'm not sure how your dial-up speed affects your decision to not use your own web page... You'd have to upload your images using that same connection whether you were sending them to a service or to your own web page either way. And if you were FTPing directly to your own page, it would defintely be much faster than using the web-based database tools provided by the photo-sharing sites.

Hosting companies such as PowWeb offer 1,000MB of storage, massive transfer amounts, e-mail services for just over $7/mo (and PowWeb is currently offering 2 free months as a promotion). It's not that hard to run album software to create your code and uploading is a snap.

Just something to consider...
bdos is offline   Reply With Quote