Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:53 PM   #11

Originally Posted by coachjerry View Post
To add more confusion, I was also going to rent the 135mm f2 L prime lens to try when shooting volleyball and basketball.
I think the use for basketball is negligible. Especially on an aps-c camera. If you're shooting from baseline then the 135 is basically giving you just beyond mid-court reach but way too tight for the action near by. You can get some cross-baseline jumpers but just not incredibly useful focal length.

For volleyball - it can be used from the back of the court for through-net shots. I don't tend to like those shots though - the girls at HS level aren't getting over the net so faces are usually obscured by the net. So I don't like them a whole lot. BUT, it can allow you to shoot from above. I do like those types of shots for volleyball.

In the end - a 70-200 2.8 and high ISO plus noise reduction software is your best answer - just much more flexibility. But you still need noise reduction software.

1dIII plus 70-200 2.8 at ISO 6400 using noiseware:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:05 PM   #12

Thanks for your thoughts John.
That volleyball shot is terrific.
You're right about the 135 and basketball...the 70-200 works OK if I move around to different spots and I have had some good results using the 85mm 1.8 from the corner.

Your comments are also true about high school volleyball. The net is usually in the way of faces on shots through the net. Digs are a better alternative if you can get in the right position to isolate the digger. Shots from high up work well as shown in your attached photo.
I use Aperture with Noise Ninja for noise reduction....from the looks of your shot, noiseware may be better than Noise Ninja.
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote