Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Default Thinking about buying a Grip for your 5D Mk2?

Be cautious

I recently purchased the Canon 5D Mk2 from Adorama.com. I purchased one of their bundles which included a "knock-off" vertical grip.

Even though I thought the Grip would be satisfactory, I decided that I wanted a genuine Canon grip and put out a 'WTB" feeler on another forum.

I got a couple of responses and decided to purchase the best deal.

When I received the grip, it was in a box with the Canon logo on it and initially looked to be the real thing. As I got to looking at it, and the one that came with the bundle, I couldn't tell that there was any difference in the grips. I made a post on that forum to see if anyone thought the Canon grip was made by the same people who make the cheap grips.

Someone posted this link in response to my query.

PhotoGraphian Singapore - Fake Canon Battery Grip BG-E6

After looking over the information on the link, I decided that the grip I had bought was, indeed, a counterfit.

I sent the member from whom I purchased the grip a message with the link. He responded a while later and seemed quite surprised about the information in the link. He immediately refunded my money and asked me to return the grip as he thought it to be the genuine article.

Happy ending to my story of course.. But, I can't help but wonder how many people buy these grips on e-bay believing that they are the genuine thing?

I was fortunate that I was dealing with, I believe, a person who had bought the grip in good faith and sold it to me believing it to be genuine and was willing to take it back without my having to file PayPal Claim.
Canon 60D, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 EF-S 10-18 f/4.5 - 5.6, EF-S 18-135 f/3.5 - 5.6, EF 24-105 f/4L, 430 EX II

Pentax K1000, A50 f/1.7, M135 f/3.5, A70-210 F/4

Last edited by EddyinGA; Jan 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:03 PM   #2

I've seen a lot of knock off Canon stuff with the counterfeit Canon logo, etc. I just bought a 5DII for my daughter and I purchased a Vello battery grip from B&H & it is excellent. Feels good, fits tight and works fantastic, weather sealed and all. I think it's a no-brainer at a 1/4 of the price. She couldn't be happier.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:22 AM   #3

I got a grip for my 550d/t2i it was cheapo included 2 batteries and a remote release for 32 and its just great.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:17 PM   #4

Generic battery grip actually works well because it just provides extra power for the camera. I have one for the my XSi for $42. It works fine. Then I bought one 3 months ago for my Sony A200. I only paid $28 including 2 batteries. However, I am reluctant to get one for my 5D MKII because of the weight and the battery grip will make it even heavier.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:37 PM   #5

I wasn't going to buy a battery grip because of the added weight. I saw a Opteka battery grip for $25 from Ebay. It was sold by 47th Street Photo, New York. It is a pretty good deal at this price so I jumped on it. It came by UPS today.

It has a battery tray which holds 6 AA cells if you don't want to use 2 LP-E6 batteries. The battery tray actually works better than using 2 LP-E6 because the battery locking mechanism is somewhat weak and I have to wiggle the batteries to get them in. But for $25, I can't complain.
Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:51 PM   #6

Hi Guys ,

I have personally found that with our 5D2s we can shoot over 1000 shots on a battery for a whole day wedding and even with a lot of flashwork have never needed more than two so a grip is nice but not a necessity and if weight is an issue with carrying kit then you dont need it. For portait work however it is a lot easier to use one ...

andrew davies photography is offline   Reply With Quote