Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Default 300D @ a Rodeo? NO was the answer

Went to my first ever Rodeo in Tupelo, MS & was told I could NOT bring in my gear (in my Lowepro bag as it was raining). I told the Security guy I had a Camera, 2 lenses & a flash & he said I could not bring it in because it had interchangeable lenses. I was ticked to say the least. Like way up in the arena someone was going to get some Big pix to sell & make some bucks off the event. Lighting was not the best anyhow, & my Minolta S404 - my son has it at home. Bummer!
Your comments/suggestions?
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:22 AM   #2

Unfortunately, many sporting events are going this route. I'm not pleased with it, but its the way of the world. You could try calling ahead of time.

I'm fairly certain you wouldn't get into any pro baseball or football stadiums with it either.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:01 AM   #3

Tampa Stadium allows a single camera with a lens for NFL football games. No camera bags. I don't know if this is the NFL standard, but it is all you can bring in to Buccaneer games.

-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:29 AM   #4

A lot of events are going this way. Some of it is security others are concerned with trade mark infringment. When I do a PRCA rodeo event I am cleared ahead of time by the organizer and am listed as a PRCA approved photographer. Even though you take the photograph it is their event and hold copyright on the procedings. Call ahead with the organizer or organization taking part. Most have media relations people who gladly talk to you.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:40 AM   #5

I don't attend many sporting events, but I do go to alot of concerts at various venues here in Florida. The general rule-of-thumb that I experience is that they won' allow any SLR's because they automatically assume that you are a "professional". But I can usually get away with my Nikon 950, since it looks like a basic point-and-shoot to most of these people. Also keep in mind that you are at the mercy of an individual at the gate, and sometimes when one security guard has told me "no", I simply retreat to another turnstile and am allowed through.
magnum27ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:02 PM   #6

And what does Canon use as a backdrop for their current Digital Rebel blitz of TV ads? How about a guy at a NFL football game. I've seen this ad at least 2 or 3 times a night on network TV for weeks now.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:33 PM   #7

i was at a local pro football game with my 7hi, i tried to take some pics from the stands when i was told "hey, no pro photgraphers alowed!" even though i was not stoped at the gate! don't know how the dude could mistake a 13 year old with a 7hi as a pro!

i tried to tell the guy, put he wouldn't have it, i talked to another guy that told me i could, and if the other guy said any thing to tell hime he said it was ok

needless to say it made me mad!
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote