Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:11 AM   #1
Default Advice for a new DR owner on racing photography

I have only had my DR about a week, and due to my work schedule, I have not had alot of opportunity to "practice" with it. I have previously owned Canon SLR's, so I have that knowledge to draw on. I will be attending the Rolex Daytona 24 hour race very soon, and will be facing a wide variety of challenging conditions. Daylight, twilight, night shots, very fast-moving subjects etc. If any of the more experienced users here could offer me any general help or suggestions I would appreciate it very much. Also, just today I purchased the 550EX flash, so if there is anything specific to that item also that anyone could offer. I will be taking shots in the pits and the paddock, and although they are "lighted", a good flash will be required. I will be using the DR with the OEM lens. I also will be taking these lenses: Canon 300mm f4, a Tamron 28-105 f2.8, and a Canon 70-210 f2.8. Thanks in advance, Bill.
magnum27ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:56 PM   #2

Your previous experience still applies to digital. The exposure lattitude of digital is similar to that of slide, about 3 stops. If you haven't had the opportunity to explore your camera, you might consider bracketing your exposure shots. You also need to consider white balance. Auto works in many cases, but you need to experiment with the appropriate modes as well. I never use it, but there is a white balance bracketing mode as well. Shoot at your highest quality jpg format, unless you're ready to tackle RAW.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote