Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:22 PM   #11
Default From Canon's website: EOS 5D MK III

Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.

Last edited by WCKSer; Mar 3, 2012 at 2:43 AM.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:21 PM   #12

BTW, if nobody noticed, we also published a news article about this new model when it was announced.

You'll see it in the Breaking News Section on the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com (right now, it's the 4th article down in the list).

Here's a direct link to the news article about it:

Canon Unleashes the Long Awaited Successor to the EOS 5D Mark II

Here's a link to a short Preview with Specifications and Product Photos (which will be updated after we get our hands on a production camera to test):

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Preview
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:04 AM   #13

I agree, many of the short comings of the 5dmkii have been addressed,
but since the originals are working out fine for me I have been given no reason to think of updating.

Now if I accidentally kill one of my current bodies it would be da thing to pick up.
Especially if the price has already dropped.
I'm kind of hoping my current bodies hold out till the 5dmk-iv is out

Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Even so, I think Canon answered the questions that people had been asking with this body.

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:13 PM   #14

Well I do shoot with a Sony: Jade ;)

I think everyone is correct in that Canon has now finally addressed one of the 5D major drawback with the new AF... May be it's time for me to dust-off my old Canon lenses collection from the closet (now that Canon's body support geo-tagging)!
photos (ϕοτοσ), light
graphos (γραϕος), painting
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:56 PM   #15

I like the 7D-like layout of the buttons and controls.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:39 AM   #16
Super Moderator

The 5D2 sold by the bucketload, not because it was absolutely the best at anything, but because it was a cracking all-rounder at an affordable price.

I suspect the 5D3 will continue to sell extremely well for the same reason, though it will take a few months for the prices to settle into a 2-3 year equilibrium.

Early signs are that it has a 2-stop advantage over the MkII, which is a stunning technical achievement. It's going to be one heck of a workhorse camera.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:54 PM   #17

Would like to have a 5DIII but not paying that price. Well price and the fact I don't need a new camera has a lot to do with me not getting a 5DIII. At least as long as my will power keep holding on strong.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:01 PM   #18
Super Moderator

The price will no doubt come down in time, but I think it's also indicative that it has a lot of higher end features - which must cost Canon something in the manufacturing.

I saw somewhere that Canon are going to continue making the 5D2 whose price is now very reasonable, it certainly makes sense to me, the 5D2 is still an excellent camera and can be the "cheap" FF option.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:23 PM   #19

My 'chip in' on this thread, and adding to the discussion.

The images I've seen from the 5DmkIII so far are amazingly good at high ISOs. eg 25,600 ISO is really quite clean and detailed. I'd say useable for most applications that aren't "studio critical" at pixel peeping levels.

The improved AF of the 5DmkIII is certainly a BIG improvement / answer for many who felt the limited 'weaker' and only 9 pt version of the 5D and 5DmkII wasn't good enough. Also the improvement to 6fps will be helpful too.

I think the 5DmkIII will be a very popular work horse for many a professional on a budget, as well as the amateur wanting a flexible, powerful FF. (The 5DmkIII seems to feature about 80% of what the 1DX offers, but at a much lower price, and the 5DmkIII seems industry leading IQ).

So yes, in summary - I agree a lot of the points above, and particularly as your first post, Peri. Hopefully prices will come down to more 'affordable' levels for people... so Canon will pump the 5DmkIIIs out by the thousands... who knows - maybe one day I WILL go full frame?

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:28 AM   #20

just happened to look at an old photo mag and within a year of release the price of a mk2 had really dropped. now in my mind is if the mk3 was lower priced it would sell more from the start rather than have people wait for the the price drop.
on a personnel note i do hope they do a 7d mk2
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote