Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 16, 2012, 8:52 PM   #11

WAVE01...thanks for that link, btw. I am just starting to delve more into flash photography and this will be a big help. I've always been more of a natural light shooter but I've been trying to expand my learning.

I know when I've been out on vacation and unable to have an off flash or take my 580 EXii with me, I've taken my 60D and used the night scene. It does use the 2nd Curtain in that setting (which just reaffirms what others have said). If I didn't have time to fiddle with the camera myself, switching it to the automatic night scene mode (or whatever its called) certainly worked in a pinch and the camera's lighter than my full frame which is always a gift when chasing after children for the better part of 8 hrs (aka....Disney) while on vacation
Olympus E-PL5 45mm 1.8, 60mm macro and Panny 25mm 1.4

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 8:35 AM   #12

Hope this might help, the description of Night Portrait mode from the Canon EOS 60D.

Originally Posted by Canon_EOS_60D_description
Night Portrait Mode: The first mode in the Basic Zone, this mode is for taking pictures of people at sunset or at night, letting the flash illuminate the subject, while the longer exposure provides a brighter view of the surroundings. The autofocus mode is automatically set to One Shot. Drive mode choices are Single or 10-second self timer, white balance to Auto, and metering mode is set to Evaluative. Since slower shutter speeds will be used, a tripod is recommended to prevent movement from the camera. The built-in flash is automatically enabled and synched with the slower shutter speed, so subjects will need to remain still for a few moments after the flash fires to avoid ghost-like after-images. ISO is automatically adjusted by the camera. (For night exposures without the flash, Canon recommends shooting in Landscape mode.)

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; May 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote