Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:27 PM   #1
Default Is there such a thing as a good deal?

Being new to the DSLR community, I have been looking for a good deal on Canon DSLRs, especially the Canon 60D bundle packages. I have found what I believe are a few good deals, but need someone to validate or debunk them. I have seen one deal on-line for the 60D that includes the camera body, a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Autofocus Lens; Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens; Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens; 2x Telephoto HD Lens; and a 0.45x High Definition Wide Angle Lens with Macro, plus a myriad of other "accessories" for a total of around $1,400.00 US. I've seen others similar to this also. My question is mainly this. Are the camera lenses "true" Canon lenses or some knock-off cheaper brand that will come with the bundle. I mean, I have seen Canon lenses listed separately for a good chunk of change, and I know that the camera body is not "cheap", so, how can this deal be authentic? Has anyone purchased a bundle like this or has the majority gone out and purchased each separately? Any feed-back would greatly help.
bimfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:07 PM   #2

If it says "Canon", it's Canon.

That does not, however, mean it's good. Canon makes so really good stuff, but it also makes some consumer level stuff. One of the worst pieces of junk Canon makes is the "Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens" you listed in a "deal" you're looking at. That lens, by itself, sells for $150, and that's more than it's worth.

In general, "deals" contain one or two things worth having, plus a bunch of stuff that:
  1. you will never use,
  2. you will use once, rellize it's junk, and never use again, or
  3. it will work just barely well enough to keep you from spending more money to get something better.
The 60D is a fine camera. The 18-55 IS II is a fine lens. The 50/1.8 II is a fine lens. There's nothing else in that "deal" that's worth spending money on, or even if it came free, it isn't worth storing.

Forget the deals. Find a good retailer that has the best price on the things you want and need.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I pretty much was thinking the same thing, just wanted confirmation on it. Thanks also for the recommendations. They were really helpful.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:14 AM   #4

ditto tcav the 75-300 isnt a good lens to be honest
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:37 AM   #5

Try to check out the dealer(s) at http://www.resellerratings.com
There have been a lot of not so good online shops doing bait&switch or cameras arriving without chargers and batteries that then they try to sell you at additional cost.

There were threads in the past where people have gone to try to find the actual location of some of these "shops" only to find boarded up doors in alley ways in certain cities.

Trouble is many of these "stores" vanish and reappear with new names to try to get off the ratings lists when their rep gets bad enough.

Deal with reputable stores in whatever your country and you won't get any unpleasant surprises.

Some of those bits like
2x Telephoto HD Lens; and a 0.45x High Definition Wide Angle Lens with Macro
will be no-name, a real canon 2x TC is over 400$ in itself and is not compatible with the lenses in the package.
Also terms like HD are generally not used with DSLR lenses that is more of a tv/video thing.

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; Sep 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:59 AM   #6

I believe there are decent deals to be had if you shop around- but large "bundles" as the one you mention have a great deal of junk in them.
The wide and tele-converters will be the awful type you screw onto the end of another lens- stressing auto-focus motors unnecessarily and degrading image quality to a shocking level. I wouldn't give 50 pence for them..!
The 60D is a great camera- and the 18-55 IS lens is optically quite good with a pretty swift autofocus- and the 50mm f/1.8 is a nice little prime also.
I'm not sure the 75-300 belongs on a 60D however- "ok" is as good as I'd describe it and as such I'd be looking for a kit that didn't have this lens included.
Maybe try and find a "kit" which includes the Canon 55-250 IS lens(assuming you need a telephoto lens)- it's a pretty decent stabilised zoom lens at a decent price.

I'm not suggesting this retailer- but maybe a kit like this is what might be worth looking at...

Last edited by SIMON40; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:05 PM   #7

Thanks, everyone for the good input. What I've taken away from this thread is that the camera body is a good choice, but a lot of the "extras" is mostly junk. What I will do is shop for a body and a few good lenses. Again, thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:19 PM   #8
Default used gear

I may be in the minority, but I think there's real value in buying used lenses.

There's a fantastic camera store in Indianapolis. Lots of photographers, good photographers are in there all the time.

Their stock of used lenses fluxuates. Sometimes they have lots of stuff in the used case, sometimes not so much.

But I kept an eye on their inventory and was able to purchase several really good pieces at great prices. For example, I bought a used Canon 70-200 2.8F IS lens for $1,100. The only think wrong was there were some rub marks on it from putting the hood on and off.

I save a lot of money and the glass is perfect!

So consider finding a good retailer and looking for used gear.

Faithfully yours,
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:23 PM   #9

you can also check some deals website, such as deals woot, groupon and some other webs.
hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:06 PM   #10

You're already seeing that everyone has an opinion. Here's mine, as an amateur who recently upgraded to a 60D. Don't try to get everything at once. Find a decent deal on the body and a basic kit lens -- the 18-55 is a good start -- and spend some time getting to know it. Learn what it can and can't do. Depending on what you shoot and what your expectations are, start thinking about how to improve your kit. If you find yourself consistently wishing you had a bit more reach, start looking for a high quality telephoto lens (consider fixed and zoom). Ditto for wide angle if that suits what you're shooting. Always stop to ask yourself what limitations you're facing and what would help. Sometimes the answer is not a different lens, but a flash or a tripod.

I have bought and sold multiple lenses that I barely used but thought they might come in handy. It's a risk we take when we step into the world of DLSR. I've also learned that no gear can make up for a lack of creativity or imagination or footwork when shooting.

When you do buy lenses, bear in mind that there's a reason people refer to them as "glass" instead of "tubes." The point of photography (technically) is to gather and record light images. To do so, you need larger glass and larger apertures -- don't be fooled by lenses with extreme zoom or other huge specs that don't include wide apertures. And don't overlook the high-quality lenses from non-OEM manufacturers that may give you your desired results (e.g., Sigma, Tamron, Tokina).

Bottom line: get used to every photo gear purchase being a compromise.
requa is offline   Reply With Quote