Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:20 AM   #11

I certainly would not let a 2 MP difference decide which camera I would want. I had a Canon 40D which was only 10MP and it took pictures that were razor sharp and very colorful. Unless you plan on printing poster size prints, the MP difference will not be an issue at all. My friend has an ancient Canon 1D and I believe it was a 5MP sensor. His image quality was superb.
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
Hey "TCav" and "SIMON40", thank you both for your replies to my question. Even though the Nikon D5100 tested slightly better than the Canon EOS Rebel T4i (650D), I would have to agree with SIMON40 that in the real world the differences would be negligible unless you blew the pictures up to the size of a house. I don't understand how they do these test. I can't help but wonder if maybe some of the differences is a result of the lenses that were used for the test. Maybe they picked one of Nikons better lenses for the test and the lens on the Canon was just so so. I looked at numerous examples where they blew the pictures up 100% and you could then clearly see that the Nikon had better resolution. I still don't understand how this could be possible. How can the 16 megapixel sensor in the Nikon D5100 have better resolution than that of the Canon's T4i 18 megapixel sensor ? This does not make sense. I have always been told that the higher the megapixel number is, this will always result in better resolution and better overall still image quality. I'm sorry, but I still think these test and reviews are biased and unfairly favor Nikon.
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote