Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:06 AM   #11

Gday all,
This is aimed mainly at the aussies! I'm also in Oz, and i'm seriously considering getting a 10D or 300D from overseas.

I rang up Canon Australia, and asked them what the deal is about warranty. They basically said there is no such thing as International warranty for them. The person basically said that Canon Aust are under no obligation to honour the warranty, BUT as a show of good faith per se, they generally do honour the warranty.

So as someone said, depends on how the person feels on the day!

I strongly suggest that you check with Canon Australia again, in case I have got my facts wrong or something! ALso, if they agree to honour it, try and get em to write the agreement on paper

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the cameras, or even the Nikon D70.. I read on the Nikon australia site that they DO NOT have international warranty.

With all the supposed problems with the 10D and its AF, i'd be very careful about buying it from overseas and then thinking it'd be cheaper sending it back to the US for repairs.... I have read stuff about people who have sent their cameras to service several times.

AH, if only the 10D didn't have the AF probs, my decision would be made.
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:45 PM   #12

What is the price difference between buying in the US and the UK? If that is a decent sum of money, you could just take the risk, buy it in the US, and if the camera fails use the money you saved to repair it.

Maff, you were going to visit B&H photo in NY right? I wanted to post this for a while now, but they have some weird opening times. They are closed on *saturday* and have limited opening times on friday.

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 5:00 AM   #13

Thanks for that Barthold, I had seen their crazy opening times on their web site and was preparing myself to get in there on the Friday or a Sunday.

I will be there next weekend 5-8th March, all being well. I'm gonna get the 300D and take a chance with the warranty....also gonna need to fool the Customs guys at the airport when I get back to the UK dont want to have to pay import tax and VAT on the camera not sure how to bring it in to UK yet...any suggestions :?:
Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 4:11 PM   #14

Maff best way is to post the package back to yourself and bring the camera back as if you took it with you, only way to deffo get past it if they find the package they will slap the tax on you.

garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 4:59 PM   #15

FYI - I got the Digital rebel from B & H Photo in New York City and I'm very pleased with it. The package i got....Rebel with 18-55mm lense kit. 1Gb Lexar (40x) CF card, 5 year International warranty, Lowepro TopLoad Mini Zoom carry case and a Canon UV Haze filter.

All for $1457.00 which is roughly 815.00 in UK money...I didn't think that was bad at all. :lol:
Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:04 AM   #16

I would definately buy in the US and would get the Mac warrenty to cover you internationally. Canon do not offer an extended warrenty as far as I know. Has anyone had to use their Mac international warrenty and if so how did you get on?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote