Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:41 PM   #1
Default Sigma or Canon lense for 300D

Hi all

I am about to buy a 300D. Could someone advice me on what lense to buy? I have read the threads allready on this subject but I have some specific questions:

- Would the Sigma 28-200 Hyperzoom F3.5-5.6 be a good bet? Is 3.5-5.6 relative good on light for a lense in the cheaper end?

- A Canon 28-200 EF costs almost twice as much in Denmark. It also features 3.5-5.6. Is it worth the money?

- Or should I go for a Canon 28-105 II USM 3.5-4.5 lense. It should be professional. How does it differ from the two others. In terms of price it is not that much more expensive than the Sigma - but then some of the zoom has to go.

- OR should I go for the cheapest solution and buy the EF-F 28-55 lense that Steve seems to like. Then a lot of the zoom has truly gone and I don't think I would like to carry around two lenses. Just one. But is this new lense a lot better for this specific camera, or will e.g. the Sigma lense do just as fine a job?

Well, it would be very nice to have some pro-comments on this...

Thanks all

MortenJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:17 PM   #2

I dont have much comparison between those lenses for you, but I have used the Sigma 28-200, and was very impressed with the lens overall. My only complaint would be slow AF.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 3:24 PM   #3

It *really* depends what you're going to be doing with it.

I have a 35-135mm USM as my "main" lens now - the 18-55 just doesn't go long enough, and isn't sharp enough by comparison. The 35-135 covers most everyday uses.

Are you often going to need a longer lens? Rememer per the other discussion at 135mm on a 300D that's equivalent of over 210mm in 35mm film terms.

Also rememner that with over 6 million pixels on the sensor, you can also crop the final image to get extra zoom if you can sacrifice some of the pixels!
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 5:12 PM   #4

As noted, I use a Tamron 28-300 ($369 w/$40 rebate at B&H) with my DRebel. Very compact lens, I hike & walk around a lot with my gear. I'm pleased, you can take a look at my last two albums at the link below.

fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:37 PM   #5

Here's another Syteve link that may help......

fporch is offline   Reply With Quote