Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:44 PM   #1
Default Compact Flash

First, my apologies to the moderators for posting this in what may be the wrong forum. I wasn't sure which one was appropriate. But since I shoot a Canon, I landed here. Please move it if you see fit.

I have a Canon 5D Mark iii

I want to purchase a larger compact flash. My current CF is only an 8 GB. I don't shoot in burst mode often. But I still want a relatively fast CF card.

Could you guys recommend a card to use or maybe even just as valuable, what card(s) to avoid?

Faithfully yours,
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:09 PM   #2

I have been shooting with the SAME compact flash card for six years, without a "hiccup" in my Sony A300. The brand is San Disk ultra 2. Mine has been very reliable. After six years, though, I am tempted to toss it and buy a new one.

32 gigabyte San Disk Ultra

San Disk Extreme 16 GB

You know you have the option of using an SD card as well, or by itself, for a lot cheaper. I'm not sure the SD card is as good for shooting burst as the CF. Maybe someone like John G or another FF Canon user will see this. He can give better advice than me.

PS When I find something I like, and it works, I tend to ignore the others. I have a DSLR, a Canon bridge camera,and two "point and shoots. I use San Disk in all except the Sony Hx10v, and that takes a memory stick, which is you guessed it! A San Disk LOL.
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr

Last edited by Hawgwild; Apr 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:16 AM   #3

I recommend either Lexar Professional or SanDisk Extreme memory cards. They cost a little more, but they're worth it. They're the fastest among cards with similar ratings, and they're more reliable. You can usually find one or the other at almost any retailer.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:19 PM   #4

Shoot only SanDisk CF and SD cards with no problems at all. I do some burst shooting and the cards record faster than the camera can write to the cards. My write time to Extreme SanDisk CF card is faster in my old 7D than my (two week old) 5DIII but that has to do with the file sizes and the 7D has duel digi processors. The 5DIII only has on digi processor, but then I not that fast anymore either.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:25 PM   #5

I bought a 16 Gb Sandisk Extreme CF card rated at 60mb/sec UDMA awhile back for $50 and still using it. No problem with this card on my 5D MKII. Sometime I do use a SDXC to CF adapter with Sony 32 Gb Class 10 U1 SD card rated at 95 mb/sec with no problem.
Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:19 AM   #6

Sandisc or lexar for sure. I have been using Sandisc 32GB cards without any issues for the past 2 years (they range from a 30mb/s, 2x 45mb/s and a a 95mb/s card). The 45mb/s and 95mb/s are as fast or faster than my cameras buffer in burst mode and the upside to this is they upload to my PC faster. The faster the mb/s rating the fater they will load to your PC with the appropriate fast memory card reader such as a Lexar Pro reader using USB 3.0.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote